The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

Sometimes we as attorneys forget that the normal public does not speak our language when dealing with automobile claims. So I would like to give the average person a basic understanding of uninsured motorist coverage in Oklahoma. I’m sure many have stated the importance of carrying uninsured motorist coverage given that 1 in 3 Oklahomans do not have automobile coverage. If your injured or hurt in a car wreck, uninsured motorist coverage may be the only thing to keep you out of bankruptcy.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage provides coverage if you, covered family members, or your covered passengers are injured or killed in an accident involving a legally liable uninsured driver. This coverage pays for your and/or your passengers (in most circumstances) bodily injury, pain & suffering, lost wages, if you are involved in an accident in which you are not at fault and the person that was at fault did not have Liability Insurance.

This type of coverage also protects you if the person at fault in an auto accident had Liability Insurance but did not have enough coverage to pay your complete loss. At that point in time, in Oklahoma your uninsured motorist coverage then serves as your Underinsured Motorist Coverage. This is often the case since Oklahomans only have to have $25,000.00 in liability coverage. Obviously, $25,000.00 will not compensate you if you have $50,000.00 in medical bills.

This coverage may also be available to you and your resident family members while riding in a car driven by someone else. If a covered member of your household is a passenger in a car that belongs to someone else and is injured as a result of an auto accident, your injuries should be covered; either by their insurance, the other parties insurance, or by your own Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage.

For more information on this subject, please refer to the section on Car and Motorcycle Accidents.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest