What to Do if You Are in an Automobile Accident
- 1. Call the police.
- 2. Obtain the following information: The names, addresses, telephone numbers and
- 3. Driver’s license numbers of all persons involved in the accident, and any witnesses.
- 4. Record the time, date, location, road conditions, make and year of vehicles involved, apparent damages and injuries, and your version of what happened.
- 5. Call your insurance agent or company to report the incident as soon as possible.
- 6. Ask your agent what documents, forms and data you will need.
- 7. Take notes each time you talk with your insurance company, agent, lawyers,
- 8. Police or others involved in the situation. Write down the dates, times, names and
- 9. Subjects you talked about, as well as any decisions or promises made.
- 10. Ask your insurance company if you have coverage for a rental vehicle if your car is not drivable. Save all receipts and bills, including those from renting a car or
- 11. Having your car towed and/or stowed.
- 12. Keep a disposable camera in your glove box in the event that you are in accident you can quickly take photos.
I would also add that you should never tell an adjuster that you “are not injured.” Injuries often take several days to manifest themselves. We have seen clients with acute disc problems that result in surgery not have symptoms for up to three days. You always need to remember that the insurance adjuster’s goal is to get you to make statements that are against you interest.
If you or loved one has been injured or killed in an auto accident, McIntyre Law, P.C. has the experience and knowledge needed to successfully handle your auto accident case. Contact us immediately after an auto accident and we will discuss the situation with you and come up with a plan of action to help you get compensation for your injuries, property damage or a loved one’s wrongful death. Visit www.mcintyrelaw.comor call toll free 1-866-917-5200 to discuss your case and find out the best course of action to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.