As we chronicled last week the blizzard of Christmas 2009 devastated Oklahoma with hundreds of accidents and injuries. The national weather service is predicting a possibility of more snow for Oklahoma starting today and running through the rest of the week.
With that in mind, according to Oklahoma Highway Patrol (“OHP”), the number of fatal accidents between 2007 and 2008 during winter months has decreased by 10%. The main reason people are injured or even killed during the winter season is caused by people’s failure to focus on their necessary surroundings. With more bad weather coming, please use defensive driving techniques to avoid dangerous situations.
The following are 8 tips on how to stay safe while driving this winter season:
- 1. Make sure the tread on your tires are good.
- 2. Have a winter tune up done
- 3. Take a driving course; learn how to get out of fishtail swerve or how to use your brakes properly
- 4. Always, carry an emergency kit in your vehicle at all times. Which include, flares, blankets, first aid kit (be sure you know how to use it), kitty litter (to give you vehicle some traction) and a fully charged cell phone. You never know when these things might come in handy.
- 5. REDUCE YOUR SPEED! Speed is one of the major factors in winter accidents.
- 6. Check road reports to find out if it is best to even go out on the roads in your area.
- 7. When going over a bridge be sure to not touch your brakes or gas, just glide. Black ice is worse on bridges because it is hard to see. In addition, bridges freeze over before anything else. You do not know you have hit a slick spot until it is too late.
- 8. It evens helps to put something very heavy in the trunks of your car or the bed of your trucks to help from fishtailing.
With these few simple precautions, you could save a life. Have a safe and happy holiday season.
If you or loved one has been injured or a loved one killed in an auto accident, McIntyre Law, P.C. has the experience and knowledge needed to successfully handle your auto accident case. Contact us immediately after an auto accident and we will discuss the situation with you and come up with a plan of action to help you get compensation for your injuries, property damage or a loved one’s wrongful death. Visit www.mcintyrelaw.com or call toll free 1-866-917-5200 to discuss your case and find out the best course of action to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.